Montag, 27. März 2017

L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal

Bonjour, 

on sunday I got another amazing tour from Nicolas. Todays topic was religion. We visit the oratory of St. Joseph. It is located at the Mont Royal and with it's architectural height of 129 m it is the highest point of the city. 
Brother Joseph was canonized in 1955 and is the first and only saint person of Canada. The basilica actually is the highest and biggest church in Canada and the 27th biggest church in the world.



 The insight of the church seems very basic and simple, but the mystery is hidden in the detail.
 An eagle like organ, a double headed statue and most of all...

 electronic candles. I actually had my problems with lighting one of these. I am just old fashioned... There should be real candles in the church to light up.
 And they had a Stargate like light!
 This little guy is the St. Joseph.
 In this Box is his original heart. I do not know, why they preserved it outside of his body, even if the body is one floor beneath the heart, but okay.


 If you exit the basilica and go into the backyard you can find the original church, which was build there at first. Over the years they build a new, bigger one. In 1906 they finished the new church, which is nowadays used as graduation ceremony location. 
 To wrap up this nice sunday excursion we had General Tao, my favorite chinese dish, which John and me got to know in NY! Check out the rice! I hope it says "good luck"!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen